Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pie Two

Farmer's market this morning. Loving all the local food!
Fresh corn. Tomatoes from Boulder. Honey from Fort Collins. Peaches from Palisade.

Today I had fun teaching my mother-in-law some of the tips I've learned over the years about how to make a good pie crust:
• Keep implements and ingredients cold
• Don't work anything too much; be light with the fingers
• Use good ingredients, like butter or margarine (not Crisco)
• And... I love my marble rolling pin. It's heavy, so it does a lot of the work for you, and it stays cool.
I made a quick little strawberry turnover with leftover dough. Roll out the leftover into a circle-ish shape. Cut in strawberries. Sprinkle sugar on top. Fold dough over and prick edge with fork. Cut off excess.

10:30 - Peach pie and turnover in oven.
11:45 - Strawberry turnover for dessert after lunch.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment